Friday, January 18, 2008

Paolo Scavino Barolo @ Basil Alcove

Dinner with B at Basil Alcove along Middle Road. Managed to get corkage at $10 instead of the usual $15 because we brought a half bottle. My dinner selection this time fell short of expectation but B's dinner set was much better. In fact her mushroom soup was so good that I ordered one for myself. :P The soup tasted just like mushrooms blended with minimal liquids. Very rich and mushroomy. And I suspect a dash of truffle oil (?) as well.


2000 Paolo Scavino Barolo (from a half bottle)
From the color, it looked grayish and dull red. WS review said that it was full-bodied, but somehow I tasted it to be light-bodied. Watery in texture. Very tannic and acidic in the mouth with red fruit flavors. The aromas were intense and smoky, as expected for a Barolo. Really too young to be drank now, bordering on disappointing. Reminds me of a very young Bordeaux. Indeed meant to keep for 10-20 years at least.

Wine bought from J&D Burleigh.

No comments: