Sunday, February 3, 2008

Assortments @ Raffles

Attended this event with several kakis. By a stroke of luck some of us were able to get into the ballroom early and had a few glasses leisurely before the crowd thronged in.

Other than the wines, there were a huge assortments of cheese but hey that's not what we are here for. There were many other bottles not written below, mainly due to loss of memory. Without further ado here are the notes:



1988 & 1994 Château Pétrus
Biggest disappointments of the day. My virgin tasting of Petrus, the most expensive label in Bord, proved to be underwhelming. What's all the fuss about?! I would definitely rate this even lower if I'd tasted this blind.

2000 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti La Tâche
Hoho... my first DRC in my wine-tasting "career" and boy it didn't disappoint. I will copy this portion from Burghound as it sums up how I felt: "...nose of dried rose petals plus a fantastic array of aromas and spices too numerous to even try to describe...". I use the analogy of a surround sound system to describe the nose. In the mouth, it's light yet packed with expansive flavors. I think I'm starting to understand the concept of power without weight. If I struck 4D today and won $2K, I will buy this now. :D

An interesting story to share: After I brought this empty bottle home after the event, I noticed that there's a few ml of wine left in it. Drained it in a wine glass and WOW the superlative nose was still intact in that tiny portion!!

2002 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti Romanée St. Vivant
Sad to say I forgot everything about this as I sipped this right after the La Tache (again I blamed myself for only sipping 1 glass of this). The only thing I remembered is the nose is of totally different character from the LT. It was serious and rather closed but there's clearly some substance in there. It just requires more effort to nose it. Perhaps this portion from BH sums it up well for me: "The overall character here is rather discreet and understated and while there is plenty of character, it's clear that this is built along the lines of elegance and finesse..."

1990 Château Figeac
I seem to be the only one who doesn't particularly like this. The herbal and earthy notes dominated the nose, which while not really offensive, wasn't my style at all.

2005 Château Cos d'Estournel
Very structured and balanced! This is not showy or lush but a simple, quiet, elegant wine which does everything right. My favourite Bord of the day. But unfortunately this would probably be priced above my budget...

2003 Chapelle d'Ausone
Wow this is the first right bank that I really like. At first was skeptical about the 2003 vintage (from my bad experience with Latour '03 the night before), but this proved astonishing. Great depth in flavor and juicy. Perhaps '03 right bank is more my style? But this cuvee ain't cheap...

2004 Paul Jaboulet Aîné Hermitage La Petite Chapelle
Urgh... very weird nose. Mint, peppermint, Vietnamese raw vegetables. Clearly Rhone isn't my glass of wine. Thank goodness I got one less region to buy. :D

2000 Château La Fleur-Pétrus
Tried this very late in the day and sad to say my taste buds have numbed...

No comments: